Galveston County Indigent Health Care Program
The County Indigent Health Care Program (CIHCP) is mandated by the Indigent Health Care and Treatment Act of 1985. The program ensures that needy Galveston county residents, who do not qualify for other state or federal health care assistance programs, receive health care. The Galveston County Commissioners' Court delegated CIHCP eligibility screening to the Galveston County Health District. If you are a Galveston county resident who is determined to be at the 35% poverty level or less you may be eligible for this program.
CIHCP covers the cost of medically necessary services, such as hospital or specialist care that requires a referral. This program does not pay for primary care, which is funded and available through Coastal Health & Wellness. If you are eligible for CIHCP, you must register as a Coastal Health & Wellness patient to have one our providers refer you to a specialist for treatment.
We are pleased to inform you we have a new and improved way for processing CIHCP applications. We no longer conduct face-to-face interviews to determine eligibility for the program; instead we request you submit the supporting documentation via mail or in person.
In order for your case to be processed in a timely manner, we ask that you follow these guidelines:
1. Read the enclosed instructions carefully
2. Review the document titled “Required Documentation Checklist”
3. Gather the documentation listed on the Required Documentation Checklist
4. Attach copies of the documents required
IMPORTANT: You must include ALL of the documents that apply to you, otherwise your application will not be considered complete and your case may be delayed or denied.
5. Deliver your documentation to the nearest CIHCP office or send them via mail to the following address:
P.O. Box 939
La Marque, TX 77568
Once we receive all the information required to make a decision, your application will be processed and we will contact you to inform you of our decision.
If you have any questions please call: (409) 949-3439
Two Ways You Can Apply:
1. Download, print and complete the Application Packet.
2. Request an Application Packet to be mailed by contacting the CIHCP Program at (409) 949-3439